Monday, December 17, 2012

Real heroes

The events of December 14th are still pretty raw for most of us.  20 children shot dead in their classrooms.  No rhyme or reason.  Just a mentally ill man with access to firearms.  

On Sunday, our pastor urged us to be the community that tells the Sandy Hook community that we grieve with them.  Here is the letter I intend to send:

Dear Staff at Sandy Hook Elementary School,

No words can provide the comfort in the unspeakable and horrific tragedy that  you experienced on December 14th.  As a teacher and a mom, my heart breaks for your staff, your parents, your community.  I keep asking "Why?"  I know that I am not alone.  The entire country is asking that same question. 

I know that I cannot say anything that will make this all better.  But I wanted you to know that there are communities out there who are grieving with you, who are watching and thanking God for the heroes who risked and gave their lives to save the children who could be saved:

Your principal, Dawn Hochsprung.
Your school psychologist Mary Sherlach
Victoria Soto
The special education teacher, Anne Marie Murphy
Lauren Rousseau
Rachel D'Avino

And those heroes who survived. 

As a teacher, I wonder if I could have been that brave, if I could've risked my life to save the life of a child.  We teachers vow to do what's best for kids.  We vow to guide and teach and help.  Yet, your teachers and staff did so much more, beyond training, beyond anything that they had ever anticipated or prepared for.  

I want you to know that your community has touched other communities.  As I struggle to make sense of it for myself and my own children and my students, I want you to know that you all are in our thoughts and prayers.   God bless you all.

Sincerely,
Stephanie Calabria
MD teacher and mother


No comments:

Post a Comment