Tuesday, June 26, 2012

A Life Well Lived

I had the unfortunate task of attending the viewing today of my aunt's father.  He was 95 years old, had been ill recently, and had lost his wife in December.  Yet, here was a man who had lived a full, full life--so full, his obituary was nearly a page long and the people attending his viewing were just the first of many more to come.  He was a father of 8 children (!!!!), a devoted grandfather, a pillar of the community.  His obit read like a resume, listing deed after deed.  The funeral home had pictures on a tv screen attesting to a family man who clearly was admired and loved.   To have half that life would have been amazing. 

Not to sound morbid, but that is what I would hope for my own viewing.  I want to make that impact on people, to have people say good things about who I was, to be a person that people will miss.  The downside would be that I won't be physically around to see it, but that's not the point.  I don't need to know that I made the impact; I just need to make that impact.  It is my hope that I will. 

No comments:

Post a Comment